Saturday, June 27, 2009

Things I no longer believe.

I no longer believe that God created the earth less than 10,000 years ago to look like it is billions of years old. Why would he lie?

I no longer believe it is possible to distinguish between evolution and intelligent design. How is the fossil record of transportation devices qualitatively different than the fossil record of animals?

I no longer believe the theory of evolution is incompatible with Christianity or even Seventh-day Adventism. Don’t we believe that God is eternal and that he is the creator? Aren't billions of years of development exactly what we would expect to see from an eternal creator? When I put away my prejudice and really look around, I see evolution all around me. It looks to me like it is a fundamental law of the universe. Dare I say it? Part of God’s character.

I can’t see God and I can’t prove that God exists. If I could, he wouldn't be God. My mind may never know for sure. But what can I see, and what do I know for sure? I can see that man has a spirit, and that every man, whether he acknowledges it or not, responds to something we call spiritual. I may not see God, but I see his image.

Even though a scientist does not acknowledge God, I no longer believe it is possible for him to be outside of a relationship with God. How can devoting your life to understanding how God works be anything other than worship?

I no longer believe I would have made a different choice than Eve. I agree with Eve, I would rather know, than to not know, and I would rather know the difference between good and evil than to be naïve.

I no longer believe that the God gave Eve the choice between good and bad. I think he gave her the choice between innocence and wisdom. Except to say that it was good, the Bible has nothing more to say about the innocent life in Eden, but judging from the age of the earth, it must have lasted a very long time. The alternate choice of wisdom however fills the rest of scripture with the story about man learning good from evil and in the process discovering characteristics of God that the universe never knew before, such as forgiveness, justice, mercy, and grace. Yes there is the sorrow of death, but there is also the joy of new birth and the personal indwelling of God. Yes, there is evil, but there is also the overcoming of evil. If knowledge of God is the greatest good, then Eve made the right choice.

I no longer believe that eating of the apple was really of much consequence. I think the bigger problem was that, having eaten the apple, Adam and Eve thought they needed to hide from God.
I no longer believe that sin separates man from God. Remember, Adam hid, but God came looking. God didn't disengage, He engaged. Christ was the lamb that was slain from the foundation of the world. I think it is fear that separates.

I no longer think that either my sin, or my death bothers God much. It’s not like He is surprised. He already knew. Even before He decided to create our world God was already reconciled. Whatever happened was going to be Ok. He had a plan. He knew what I was going to do and He knew what He was going to do. He isn't threatened. He isn't sorrowful. He is joyful.

I no longer believe that God needed Christ to die in order to forgive my sins. He managed to forgive the 1/3 of the angels in heaven who almost went with Lucifer without needing Christ to die. I think I needed Christ to die in order for me to lose my fear that he might not have my best interest at heart. Also, it is a lot easier to forgive the debts others owe me when I have been given such a big gift.

I don't think guilt is the real problem. I think it is just a cover for fear.

I no longer believe Christ said, “Father forgive them” in order to influence God. I believe he said it so we would stop hanging on to our guilt.

I no longer feel it is important for me to struggle against sin and my bad habits. If I could do it, I wouldn't need saving, and every life guard is taught that you can’t save a victim that is still struggling. The lifeguard has to stay just out of reach until the victim tires out and stops.

I no longer believe that preaching the gospel or saving souls is the most important thing for me, or the church to do. God had a purpose for man before the fall, fulfilling that purpose is the most important. I think the most important thing I can do is to hang out with God and enjoy what he has done.

I no longer believe that guilt is the only problem humanity has, nor that Christianity is God’s only intervention to the benefit of humanity. Christ is the light that lightens every man and he said, “I have many things to tell you which you cannot bear now”, and “I have sheep in other folds,” and “My spirit will guide you into all truth.” Why would I assume God’s spirit would only teach truth to the Jews? As Judeo-Christian thought helps the world deal with guilt, so Buddhism helps the world with suffering, and Science blesses man physically. I don't know enough about Islam to know what truth it holds.

I no longer believe that God has a plan for your life or mine. I think he just wants to experience whatever it is you chose to do, right along with you.

I no longer think God will ever tell you what the meaning of life is. I think he leaves that for you to decide.

I no longer believe anyone, except possibly the God part of Christ, has ever experienced death. One can only experience life. Death is the absence of experience.
Death cannot be said to truly exist. Death is only the absence of life. Why would you be afraid of something which doesn't exist and which you will never experience? Isn't it better to focus on to what is real, and pay attention to what you can truly know and enjoy today?

You don’t mourn the time before you were born. Why should you mourn the time after you are dead? Isn't it better to celebrate what you have rather than mourn what you don't?

I no longer think that mourning a loved one’s death honors them. I think celebrating their life brings honor.

I don't think that you should try to avoid the hard work of grieving. Feel your anger; embrace the pain, and throw yourself down the well of sorrow in utter hopeless abandon. At the bottom, when the well runs dry, you will find peace, and love, and you will discover that your loved one never truly leaves you.

I don't think you can expect God to intervene to prevent your death. Eve chose to accept death, to gain knowledge and wisdom. So far, except for Enoch and Elijah, God has chosen to respect her decision. Why should it be any different for you or me?

I don't know if there is heaven or hell after death, but I know there is heaven and hell here and now. Don't miss the heaven here, while hoping for the one in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Ron, I am sorry you no longer believe the Bible.

    Your sins have separated you from your God.

    Isiaiah 59:1-3 Behold, the LORD'S hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear: But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid [his] face from you, that he will not hear. For your hands are defiled with blood, and your fingers with iniquity; your lips have spoken lies, your tongue hath muttered perverseness.

    The choice Eve made was not one of a complex good versus a simple good. That is the exact lie Satan told (Genesis 3:5)

    I have written a response showing that in many of your points you have rejected the clear teaching of Scripture. That is your choice, but if you do so, I think it is deceptive to still call yourself a Christian.

    http://alaska4jesus.blogspot.com/2009/09/bible-believing-minus-bible.html

    I pray that you will consider this in the spirit of love I have for you in Christ. I am praying for your salvation.

    God bless, Warren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking the time read and comment. I would love to have an in depth discussion, because I have come to my conclusions (if they are in fact conclusions, I guess time will tell)after years of serious and dedicated Bible study, prayer and practical Christian living. I consider myself a strong Christian, and Seventh-day Adventist to boot. I wish I could claim these ideas were original to me, but in-fact most if not all have been expressed by Christians older and wiser than me.

    ReplyDelete